Saturday, August 21, 2010

dude, i have a question for ya

the worst week of my (summer II) life just ended like yesterday. it's not like anything terribly messed up with life or something; it's just that i don't want it to be happened again.

it started with me going to the city with some visiting friends. well, i'm not sure how to describe it but i may say it was a little bit tiring - for strolling almost 7 or 8 hours. so that night, i went back home with a mind preparing for a big tomorrow.

tomorrow, which was not that big actually, was the day i was supposed to move out of my CC apartment to Claustrophobic Penalty Area or best described as CPA. it started with having my friend got lost in Hoboken, in his way to park car at Stevens. almost 3 hours were spent to look for him and thank God; the car he driven was found, nicely parked, at Stevens. he showed up as we were just about to look for him. honestly, i don't really like moving in or out - because it is tiring, tedious, and time-consuming. i had to go at 12-ish as i had a scheduled meeting with my group mates (even though we, biologically programmed, know that doing anything that has something to do with academic, or any form of academic work, or academically influenced work, is naturally sick if it is done or being done on Sunday). to short the story, we managed to get the project done by 5 something and just had to meet the next day to work on slides and paper. either way, whether the academic work is done or not, i still had to move my stuffs out. poop. i had to stop when it was about 1 or 2am because i couldn't do it anymore. plus, i guessed we had move majority, or at least the big ones, of our stuffs to CPA - before we found out it is not, later day.

Monday morning started at 12.36pm as i planned to take a short nap after Subuh prayer - i know it is short, really. i could have just gone to class after getting prepared; BUT, i couldn't because i found out that, by any means, i have to wear other pair of pants unless i want another big embarrassing moment of my life. i could not wear this one, the one i should have put on, because of certain reasons. since i had moved almost of my stuffs, including clothes, most importantly, i got nothing else to wear. i should have brought a complete set of going-to-class apparel rather than just a pair of boxer short and t-shirt. i got no choice but to put the pants in where it belonged - washing machine. so, washing took only 12 minutes but i was not going to go to school with all-wet jeans or else i would have been thought super freak. then, i got to dry it out! this was the most time-consuming, wasting actually, process. i was like oh God, i just learned that, after drying the jeans for a normal-dry length of time, it came out half-of-half, or quarter, redundantly, dry. i was so upset to repeat the whole process but this time i switched to more-dry mode- in which i should have done earlier. it was like 50 minutes passed 1 already and i just missed the whole point of going to class. so i decided not to go and just laid down on my bed, under warming blanket, waiting for my pants, my only pants at that moment, to be dried. shall i call it the first oversleeping day? i may.

Tuesday, the class supposedly started at 10am. i am not really a morning person, especially for academic purpose, to start my day as early as 8 (yet, 10am is also considered early). so, putting all blames on that very nature of mine, i overslept; only this time, i woke up at 1.13pm - if i am not mistaken. like a car accident, this one might be considered total lost as the class should have ended precisely 1 hour 13 minutes ago. unknowingly, no, unconsciously, i also missed one lab session that i could have gone at 4.15pm yesterday. i only could remember that i had to make that up at 5, on Tuesday. so, i was just making my self feel really bad after having the TA (teaching assistant) waited for me for 10 minutes later than the promised time; and still, he allowed me, and also helped me, answering pre-lab quiz of Fluid lab - that other students took it, for some obvious reason i don't really know, one day earlier. this should be the ultimate oversleeping day - as you may discover later.

Wednesday, i reached the door of the class just 4 minutes after lecture started! that could be considered as the biggest success of the week. so it turned out to look like it's a normal day for me until i noticed that i did not bring experiment note to Fluid lab at 4.15pm. honestly, i also almost missed that lab. so, as i am (being) trained to be good engineer, i should come out with a solution! that is basically what engineers do. with hidden sense of guilty, i just roughly sketched a 17 rows table, and another one next, and began jotting down data. seriously, it was ugly. after a moment, the TA successfully, and clearly, saw the tables and again, successfully, pretended like he did not see anything stupid. my feeling at that moment is exactly like a fat boy farting in the middle of library in Harvard Medical School in peak hour. i went back to CC to pick up what i left and accumulatively, they were like one big box, two medium boxes, several small boxes, and one big luggage, that required two trip of cab back-to-back. i was all alone that night in CPA. as the saying goes: characteristic is when you are alone, i did a lot of stupid things, all alone, in which are not really suitable to be written here. oh, one of them might be educational - experimenting (more like playing) with pupil.

Thursday, i woke up at 4.03am!....and i slept back and woke up again at 5.38am -no sahur that day. and i, again, slept back and woke up at 12.56pm. i was like what? another oversleeping day? yes. it's just that the class started at 1pm. so, shower and getting dressed took almost 20 minutes and there you go, i made to class 30 minutes before the-famous-11am-break. as the break started, the professor, or best referred as prof. XXX, called my name "Muhammad Khairun!" he then continued "Here is your midterm, lecture note for chapter 7 and.." he paused,"the second midterm." he said. "You were not here right? it is supposed to be handed today because i gave it on Tuesday. These students have two days to do it but i give you until tomorrow morning. SO you only have one night to do it.OK?" he gently spoke to me. i was like Wow! i did not even know there was a midterm. plus, i did not even tell him that i am sorry for not taking the midterm on time. in addition, he is so nice to give me that chance...i acted cool and said "Alright, thank you." if i did not take this midterm, seriously, the earlier midterm, that is almost perfect score, would have gone vain. so that night, (yes i started to do it late) i worked all night long to do the midterm. no wonder it is a take-home; it's because the solution is super-long! two pages would be just enough to solve the Navier-Stokes equation.

Friday, just a few minutes before Subuh, i managed to finish all the questions. i had my sahur and performed Subuh prayer and again~ took a supposedly-short-nap. i woke up late and came to class 15 minutes before it ended. those people in the class was like just seeing a clown getting in the class. i handed my midterm at the end of the class and a friend of mine came and said "hey redz, i have a question for you. did you oversleep?" wow! how did he know?? dude, it has been a week, man. as long as a week!!! he continued while LOL-ing (with several others too) "I was like what the f***? what the hell is he doing here? you came in like just 15 minutes before the class ends" he then said "You know right you don't have to come?". Yes i am fully aware that i could just not to come but i have to submit my midterm!! well, that makes me what i am. from as early as kindergarten up to this date, i am always associated with sleeping things -it always has something to do with sleeping.uh...

that evening, i received one good news while me and several other undergraduates were making fun of this Ph.D student while he is presenting. the professor is so mad at him and yet he was able to come out with question like this :" what are you talking about? my work or my presentation?". Professor could not stand anymore and he just had to laugh - painfully. oh, what was that good news? i will tell it later. so we, Stevens students, went to Mission to have our iftar there.

and next morning, which is on 08/21/2010, i figured out why i have always been oversleeping. it is because my phone alarm does not work anymore! it doesn't make any sound! it just vibrates! arghh! you are iPhone and that's the best you can come out with?? well, it's time to change to a new one. poop.


  1. ppl say once u oversleep, u'll continue so for a few days.
    and yeah u can hand me the phone as i can wake up even when it only vibrates :D

  2. wow. you're so light sleeper..i wonder who you are anyway :D

  3. da bley buat short film da nih..

  4. betul tu aimi.tajuk die "Saya Selekeh"